This project has been submitted to the Scottish Ministers for their consideration. All the application documents can be viewed at the bottom of this page.
A summary of the proposal
- Located just outside Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye
- Removes the existing 12 turbines and replaces them with five new turbines with a maximum tip height of 200 metres
- An additional four turbines with a maximum tip height of 200 metres will be built to the south of the existing turbines
- The project could be carried out in two stages – building the extension first and then replacing the existing turbines – or all at once
- Associated infrastructure including internal access roads, on-site substations, borrow pit and energy storage system. A new site entrance might also be required
- Will provide additional funding to the local community benefit fund
- Bird and additional ecological surveys and other technical assessments have been completed
- The installed capacity of the windfarm will be above 50MW and therefore it will be subject to an application under Section 36 of the Electricity Act (1989) and will ultimately be determined by Scottish Ministers
In January 2023 we held our second public exhibition events in Dunvegan to demonstrate how our plans for repowering and extending Ben Aketil Wind Farm have evolved.
Take a look at the exhibition material and information using the links below: